Saturday 26 December 2015





Journey 

So originally, Da Lat was not on our travel plans however due to the upcoming Reunification Day there were no buses going to Hoi An. We were left in a conundrum; do we wait it out in Mui Ne or divert our journey. We decided to divert our journey to Da Lat and then go from there to Nha Trang before going to Hoi An. I am so pleased we did because we got to see so much more of this beautiful country. 

We ended up booking the bus with a lovely woman who owned one of the convenience stores of the main streets of Mui Ne. I can honestly say she was the most lovely woman I have ever met. She gave us so much advice and even checked availability for our next buses etc. The bus she booked was a fraction of the price of the one quoted at both hostels and we had been treated with respect and kindness. 

The bus picked us up from our hostel, bright and early. I will not lie, the journey to Da Lat is bumpy and not always comfortable. However, this is due to no faults of the driver but of the roads themselves. However, the journey is not long so you cannot complain too much. 

You are dropped off at a hotel who help you to get a taxi or to fix a room. The taxi we then had was a disaster as the driver was the slowest driver on earth and did not know where they were going...perfect. We refused to pay him the full fare which he attempted to argue but he didn't really get much chance. 

Crazy House




After dropping our bags off, we were ready to explore! I had heard about the Crazy House from other travel blogs and thought we should definitely check it out. 

The Crazy House is the work of a Vietnamese architect who created the buildings that are still being developed today. I can only describe it as entering a different world. Think Alice and Wonderland meets Hobbiton meets Harry Potter. It is fascinating to look around and a great way to spend your afternoon. You can also book to stay at the Crazy House, which I would definitely consider if you are coming to Da Lat. 

Canyoning 




Da Lat is known for canyoning because it's so cheap. Although, after reading travel advice for Da Lat whilst tired and absent minded I had actually thought it was canoeing. Imogen really winning at life yet again! 

After talking to people staying at our hostel, we thought we would really be missing out if we didn't go. So after a few drinks, we booked it at our hostel for the next day. For those of you who are unsure what canyoning is (don't worry I didn't), it is basically a string of activities including water sliding, abseiling down dry cliffs and waterfalls etc. I had an amazing day! I am not what you would call outdoorsy either but it was so good. I didn't do every challenge just because fear for the better of me but I don't regret this at all. The instructors try to make you feel at ease and keep momentum and spirits high all day. 

Also, the lunch they provide is amazing. There are baguettes to make sandwiches with pork, tofu and salad but the main event is all the fruit. The mango was amazing I had to much of it! They also provide water so you don't have to carry it around with you. 

I would say to wear either a dark coloured bikini or a bikini you don't really care about. Although, mine was not damaged there is the risk of discolouration. Also, wear shoes you don't plan on wearing for the next few days. I wore converse because if I am honest my converse have seen better days after struggling through my travels, never mind what they had been through before. The shoes themselves are not ruined now and I reckon with a quick blast in the washing machine they will be back to gleaming white...

Dalat Friendly Fun




The hostel that I stayed at did not put on activities as such but everyone in the hostel would hang out every night. The hosts of the hostel would also provide dinner every night. The first night it was a noodle and fish pho which was lovely and I must admit I have not been the greatest advocate of pho so far. When people were hungry later Duc (the owner/manager) went and cooked up some noodles for everyone. 

The second night was even better. There was a feast with DIY spring rolls with an amazing peanut sauce, sticky chicken rice with floss, a chicken soup/broth, deep fried broccoli and courgette. All cooked by Duc's amazing wife. This meal was probably the best meal I have had in Vietnam, maybe even during my time in Asia. I was so full but I wanted to eat more!! 

Absolutely loved Da Lat, it was nice to visit a place which we hadn't planned to go to and be so pleasantly surprised! 

Love Imogen xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment